Sunday, September 30, 2012

Where Have I Been?!?!?

Well I'm still here. I think you'll forgive my absence the last month if you knew what was going on....This is my school year so far:

*We adopted a new mathematics program called Everyday Math (everything EXCEPT the manipulatives. YEP no manipulatives to do a manipulative-driven curriculum). If you teach it or have taught it in the past, you understand my stress....

*We are a Phase IV Literacy First school and have begun year 2. If you've taught Literacy First, you know how tedious THAT is. I'm assessing each student on the continuum constantly!!!!


*We are continuing RtI


*We are integrating the new Common Core Skills in our classrooms.


*Our district has adopted a new progress report/report card process.


*We are adopting a new teacher assessment model, the Marzano Model. AHHH!!!


*We are now having to post our learning goals and objectives in our classrooms at all times. I'm observed at least once a week by my principal and literacy coach as well as other teachers, principals and administrators.


I have already been to the emergency room for chest pains since this school year started. I've also taken on the step-mom role to my 11 year old stepson who is in 6th grade. I also have a 7th grade daughter who is an athlete and ALWAYS has practice or activities to go to. As stressful as life is right now, I'm trying to maintain my sanity any way that I know how. Chocolate and caffeine have been my BEST friends these last 2 months.

We are nearing the 2nd full month of school and the 28th day of classes. I can't believe it's already getting close to report card time!

I just finished my latest TpT product. I am introducing writing to my first graders slowly but surely. If you've seen the first grade common core skills for writing, I'm sure your heart skipped a beat or two as well. We are not allowed to do writing during our literacy block (no I don't get this either), but it is what it is.

I LOVE having class books in my room. The kids get so excited and want to show these off to brothers, sisters, moms and dads. We make class books constantly so that not only my class know that they are authors, but it gives them a way to practice predictable text as well.

I am making a set of class book templates for every 2 months. I have created 2 templates for each theme. The topics of the class book templates depend on the theme you are working on during those two months. For October and November, the topics include pumpkins, Harvest, Thanksgiving, Halloween and more! Here is a preview of each template. I have also included a book cover for each class book. All you have to do is add your name!



If you are interested, click on the picture to view the template pack in my store. I have also included common core standards these writing activities support! If you purchase this template pack, be sure and let me know what you think!




4 comments:

Special Teacher for Special Kids said...

wow, sounds like a pretty crazy time and just crazy all around. I am familiar with EDM series, if you need help I am can do my best to make it a little easier for you. Some of the manipulatives you may have already.

Iteachkidsabc@gmail.com

:o) V.
Special Teacher for Special Kids

Sallie Neal said...

Oh my goodness yes I want your input! Some of the manipulatives I do have from when we taught Saxin math, but some I don't. Any tips, printables, shortcuts, etc I would love to have. My main email is sallie79@gmail.com. Thanks!

Sallie Neal said...

Sorry That should be Saxon- typing on my phone....:)

Dancing in Our Teacher Shoes said...

Wow...you poor thing! I hope your life slows down and they let you get back to what you should be doing...teaching! Good luck! We've started following your blog and linked it up to our blog

www.dancinginourteachershoes.blogspot.com

Post a Comment